Monday, August 15, 2011

Observations from "The Rock Hole"

"The Rock Hole: A Red River Mystery" is a new book written by Reavis Z. Wortham.  I have been looking forward to reading this book for several reasons.  First, I like mysteries.  Second, it takes place in and features Texas and Texas characters.  And finally, it is by a local Texas author.  Let me say I was not disappointed by the book.

One of the things I found interesting about the book is the way the author uses an observer to tell the story.  I know there are other instances where this technique is used, like Dr Watson telling about Sherlock Holmes, but I think the author did a great job using a ten year old boy to tell this story.

You see ... this story takes place around 1964 and there were some familiar things about the story.  I was a boy back then too - just a little younger than Top - the boy who has a part in telling the story.  He had asthma and used an inhaler to take medicine when he had an attack.  There were other familiar things about the story as well - like the time era including mentions of the Vietnam War, the Beatles, the theater, and racial tensions - just to name a few.  There were some things I was introduced to.  I was raised in the city and this basically occurred in the country.  But there were some familiar things about the other characters as well.

Top's grandfather reminded me a little of my mom's dad.  There was a similarity between the two - probably because I had a similar view of my grandfather like Top did of his.  My grandfather was not a part time law man like Top's was but his work ethics, family values, and tolerances of others were very similar.

I look forward to reading more by this author.

No comments: