Friday, August 6, 2010

Acknowledging Educators

It is that time of the year. Preparations are being made for the start of the new school year. With this in mind I want to -again- acknowledge and say thanks to educators and teachers like a previous blog from last year: Reading Brought To You By.html.

This year I want to share a couple of more experiences. First, it was several years ago - more than 10 years ago. I was in between jobs and doing work with a temp work company called MANPOWER. On a couple of my day assignments, I was placed in schools - one was a new school about to open and another was a school that had been remodeled. My job varied and included moving and setting up new equipment and furniture in the classrooms, etc.

While I was there, some of the teachers were coming in to set up their individual classrooms. I was amazed at the ages of some of these teachers. I could not remember having such "young" teachers when I was a student (I will not say how many years ago)!!!

Fast forward to this year!!! I attended a meeting where time was dedicated to service awards for educators - some teachers and other administrators in the school district. At one point I thought I heard them recognize an assistant principal at an elementary school for 25 years. When she walked up to get her pen, I told myself I must have misheard and they must have said 5 years because surely she must have been in elementary school 25 years ago. Well ... there were several others recognized just like this and I could not believe how young they looked.

Granted I was sitting in the back and I did not get a close up view of the people being recognized - not to mention my eyesight is not always the best!!! But this just confirms one of the things I have learned about most of the people in the education field - they are DEDICATED!!! So once again, I would like to say THANKS to those who care enough to help educate our kids.


PS. For those of you educators checking my spelling and grammar to see how well you have done, **grin**, let me apologize if all my I's are not dotted and all my t's are not crossed. I may even have a few hanging participles (?). I really DID learn but may be a little sloppy.

1 comment:

JenningsJunk said...

AWESOME post!! Way to go educators!!