Monday, November 24, 2008

Author Interview: J.A. Jance


J.A. Jance is one of my favorite non-Texas writers. She has a new book coming out in December called "Cruel Intent". She is about to go on tour for her book and I was pleasantly surprised to discover her book tour schedule includes the Dallas, TX area. I am looking forward to meeting her in person. If you are interested in her book tour schedule, you can click here. I was also pleasantly surprised when she agreed to my request for an interview on my blog. The interview follows.

MR: "Cruel Intent" is the fourth book in the Alison Reynolds series and I have read 13 books in the Joanna Brady series. What makes Alison Reynolds different from Joanna Brady?

JAJ: Ali was quite a bit older when her books start. She's lived a far more sophisticated and lavish existence than Joanna even though they both have small town roots. Both come from strong family structures with loving if complicated parents.

MR: Joanna Brady and J.P. Beaumont were in some books together where there stories were merged. Are Joanna Brady and Alison Reynolds likely to share a book together?

JAJ: Joanna and J.P. can share the same book, as they will in next summer's Fire and Ice because they share the same publisher. Ali and Joanna have different publishers and, as a consequence, are unlikely to be in the same book.
MR: This certainly makes sense. When I read the first book with Joanna and J.P. in it, I decided I wanted to go back and start reading the J.P. Beaumont series as well.

MR: How did your idea for this book / story evolve?

JAJ: I think we all assume we have a certain amount of privacy on the Web. The problem is, that ain't necessarily so. And the fact that some of those Internet predators are. . . well . . . predators shouldn't come as a big surprise.
MR: I am definitely looking forward to reading this book now.

MR: What has been your biggest challenge in writing?

JAJ: I've written more than 40 books. Published books. I need to meet deadlines while at the same time keeping a fresh outlook on the characters while also making them consistent from book to book. I need to write the books and promote the books. (Two a year at the moment.) In other words, I think the biggest challenge is juggling.

MR: Do you have a favorite kind of book you like to read?

JAJ: No big surprises there. Mysteries. My favorite book this year is The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. That book is about a lady writer just after WWII, and the beginning of the book (letters written while she was on a book tour) actually made me laugh aloud.
MR: Once again, thanks for letting me have this time with you.

2 comments:

JenningsJunk said...

This is so exciting! I too am a fan of J A Jance mysteries that started with reviews from your blog. I really enjoyed your interview questions and the author's answers. THANKS TO BOTH OF Y'ALL for taking the extra time...I'm off to read some more, I see from this interview that I'm wayyyyy behind on the titles offered :D

Meadowview Thymes said...

Ohhhh I am so excited about this interview. How nice of JA Jance to take the time to answer your questions. And..great questions mr. Interesting about why characters can "share" a book!
As always..thanks so much for a great post!!