Saturday, January 16, 2010

Discussion Group Selection For January


KUDOS to the member of the Firewheel Barnes and Noble Mystery Discussion Group who recommended this book for our group to read. I had not read this author - Stephen White - before. However I think this book - Higher Authority - was a great introduction to the author.

It starts off as a possible lawsuit against a member of the Mormon church - in Utah. This member is also the assistant to a Supreme Court Justice. If the stakes are not high enough yet, it becomes even more complicated when the subject of the lawsuit is murdered. And if you don't think things could get any worse, you have to read the book.

Before I give the rating by the members of the group, I want to mention a few of the comments about it.

"It was hard to get into the book at first. But after the murder occurred, it held my interest."

"I thought it did a good job of including several areas of interest: the Mormom church, bicycling, indians, and Multiple Sclerosis."

"The author did a great job of character developement. The only disappointment was that he killed off one of those 'good' guys".

NOW as promised, here is how the group rated it - an overwhelming 9 thumbs up.

Here is one of the quotes I liked from the book: Lawyering and fishing. Same sport. Different hooks, different bait. I decided a long time ago that fishing is more fun.

Other than READ THE BOOK - That's enough said!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.

JenningsJunk said...

wow! 9 thumbs up...I don't usually pick up court/litigation background stories, but I'll keep this one in mind since this group hasn't steered me wrong yet :-)