Saturday, February 23, 2008

Playing With Fire

In general, I like to start a series with the first book in the series. I like to be introduced to characters and watch them develop through the series. I also like to watch the relationships for the characters develop. So far I cannot think of any of these series I have tired of. But sometimes I guess it is not always possible to start with the first book in the series.

Playing With Fire is a case where the book is not the first in the series. It is written by Peter Robinson. There are two sleuths in this series that takes place in Yorkshire and the surrounding area. Alan Banks is an inspector and Annie Cabbot is one of his deputy inspectors. One of the things I learn about them is they had a romantic relationship sometime in the past. Now they have moved on and have strictly a working relationship. But of course previous relationships can affect current relationships.

This book is opened with a fire and the death of two persons. It is not known what caused the fire at first but the inspection points to arson. Since it was arson the deaths become murders. There is no apparent motive for these fires and murders but there are suspicions.

Another fire is discovered later in another place. It also results in a death. Again it is arson and murder. There does not appear to be any connection to these two fires but they are investigated as possibly related.

A safe with a painting inside it is found at the site of the second fire. This provides the most likely connection with the other fire where one of the persons who died was an artist. The painting is determined to be a forgery. It becomes apparent this is the connection and the murderer must have a connection with two of the dead persons.

The investigation reveals a definite connection between the two fires and an unidentified third person.

To discover who this person is read the book yourself. I do not want to give it away. It is a surprise.

3 comments:

JenningsJunk said...

aaarrrrrgggghhhhh - now I have to add another book to my LENGTHY list. Actually, I'm glad. Standing looking at shelves and shelves of books is a little overwhelming....thanks for keeping this blog going!

misterreereeder said...

Glad you like it. I hope you enjoy the book. I have some of the same feelings ... so much to read ... and ... so little time to read them. Again thanks for your comment.

JenningsJunk said...

WOW - you're right not to give away the ending, I was on the hook for quite awhile. Even though there are books prior to this one, I was able to keep up and had a great feel for the characters. At first, I wasn't sure about the setting, just not an area I'm drawn to read about, but it was well done and didn't get me bogged down in regional type stuff. A GREAT mystery - thanks for the review!!